Mayor Dan Drew and the Middletown Commission on the Arts present a
Call for Nominations for Middletown's Poet Laureate
• Nominees must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment
• The poet Laureate must have a strong desire to be actively engaged in the community by performing his or her own work and/or sharing his or her own work and talent with the public.
• Poets may self-nominate or be nominated by a Middletown resident.
• Nominees may not be MCA Commissioners or MCA Staff.
• Nominees must be full time Middletown residents for at least one year prior to the nomination date.
• Nominees must be experienced in the field of poetry and able to fulfill the required duties of the position.
Poet Laureate Opportunities:
• A reception in their honor.
• Promote awareness of poetry in Middletown by participating in city and statewide events as an official representative of the City of Middletown.
• Promote at least one public event per year or as requested by the Mayor and/or the MCA.
• Foster public appreciation of and participation in poetry and literary arts activities in schools, colleges and the local literary community.
• Represent Middletown within the Connecticut Coalition of Poets Laureate.
Terms of Service:
• The City Poet Laureate will serve for a term of 3 years with the possibility of renewal.
• As an official representative of the City of Middletown, the Poet Laureate must maintain Middletown residency during his or her term.
• The City Poet Laureate will be a nonvoting Member of the Middletown Commission on the Arts.
To be considered for the position of Middletown's Poet Laureate, please mail the following materials to Middletown Mayor's Office, Attention Poet Laureate, Municipal Building, 245 deKoven Drive, Middletown, CT 06457-3460. DEADLINE: Materials must be postmarked or delivered by 4:30pm, August, 3rd, 2018 for submissions is 4:30 p.m.
• The completed Poet Laureate of Middletown form (available through this link)
• Resume or CV
• A selection of up to ten work samples; no more than 15 pages for each poem
• An expression of intent including specific availability for fulfilling the role
• Contact information for three personal references
Any questions can be directed to the Mayor’s Office at (860) 638-4801
Following the review and interview process, the MCA Poet Laureate Selection Committee will make its recommendation to the MCA who will formally request the appointment by the Mayor. We hope to appoint the Poet Laureate in October, 2018.