Design Review & Preservation Board, Middletown
- Jeff Bianco, AIA, Chair
- Marilyn Mills, Vice-Chair
- Harvey Cushing, Board Member
- David Greaves, Board Member
- Maria Madsen Holzberg, Board Member
- Brian Kronenberger, Board Member
- Bruce Plumley, Board Member
- Molly Salafia, Board Member
- Benjamin Shoemaker, Board Member
Middletown's Design Review and Preservation Board was set up by Ordinance, section 26-10 in 1998, to act in an advisory capacity to the Planning and Zoning Committee. The board reviews all exterior rehabilitation or new construction in business zones, including signage, and advises the Planning and Zoning Commission and Redevelopment Agency regarding their appropriateness.
The board's goal is not to get in the way of improving Middletown, but rather preserve and promote the character and heritage of our neighborhoods and business areas. The Board has developed two documents to assist developers in designing projects:
- Design Guidelines (PDF)
- Landscaping Guidelines and Scoring System (PDF)
- Signage Illumination Guidelines (PDF)
Design & Preservation Awards
The Board also receives nominations and selects appropriate designs to bestow the annual Design and Preservation Awards.
If you are going to undertake a new construction, rehabilitation, and/or signage project in any of the areas below, you will need to present your project before the Design Review and Preservation Board. It is advisable that you call or stop by the Department of Planning, Conservation, and Development to have a pre-application discussion. This will assure that you can present your project in the best and most informative manner.
Be sure to take a look to see if your property or project is eligible for Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentives.
If you are looking for qualified contractors to assist you with a preservation project take a look at the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation's Registry of Restoration Services
- Fast-Track Signage Permit (PDF)
- Preservation and Design Review Board 2015 Yearly Schedule (PDF)
- Preservation and Design Review Board 2015 Yearly Schedule Revised (PDF)
- Preservation and Design Review Board 2016 Yearly Schedule (PDF)
- Preservation and Design Review Board 2017 Yearly Schedule (PDF)
- Preservation and Design Review Board 2018 Yearly Schedule (PDF)